Monday, January 7, 2008

Brittany or Africa?

So, I get that Brittney Spears having a breakdown and losing her children (again) is super important to many, many people. And that the Writer's strike has impacted TV viewing for most people. But has anyone heard this:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200801070532.html

(I missed any mention of it on Headline News.)

After Kenya's elections last week were deemed as rigged by both parties, yet a president declared, Uganda was thrown in to turmoil (again) because they depend on imports from Nairobi.

You're thinking, "Yea, whatever. More doom and gloom for Africa." It's too real to me when I begin to KNOW people who are living and working there, or trying to. Real people. Real jobs. Real life -- that comes to a halt because of politics -- something we take for granted in America, I think.

I got the following email from a friend who is a teacher in Kampala, Uganda, this morning:

"Well we are still alive but plenty of people are still stranded up country. We have received some fuel becuse of the short pause in the violence and rallies. there are long of cues at the fuel staions where it is rumoured that there will will be fuel. we consume about 500,000 litres of petrol alone each day but only 100,000 has made it here you can imagine the scramble after a whole week without fuel. I would be glad to answer those questions may be we could do a video something that that they could see.
school opened today, we have met with the director and they are considerring bussing the teachers as well. we all have no fuel. disel is also high but much less than petrol. fewer vehicles use diesel. our school generator runs on petrol and power load shedding ahs increased becase of the lower water levels since it is the beginning of the dry season. Pray for usI hope that this is settled soon or my class work will just go to the ....... It is quite warm, i even got a sun tan. goodluck with the run!
I have ordered the book [for our class] but have not received it. some domestic flightws were cancelled dueto fuel shortage. its that bad. am waiting for a friend to bring it from the UK. As if the EBOLA out break was not enough we had to have this fuel problem."

Pray for Africa.

No comments: