So, I'm back. Back to reality, but with a fresh perspective.
Forty-six days without Facebook. Forty-six days with very, very minimal blog reading (there were a few emergencies I had to be filled in on...and a few weak moments.) But I can't say I spent a lot of time doing other useful things, I don't think. I might be a better person, but it's only because I finally found some balance. I still spent a lot of time staring at an empty email box, or browsing my own photos, or researching random facts. Oh, and I discovered and had another obsession with www.fml.com. It's addicting, seriously.
I missed out on a friend having a baby -- my sister filled me in, but I had no way of contacting her. I realized how many people that I don't have an email address for. Who knew that facebook would replace email?!
And so, my balance: Keep up with friends, but I'll probably keep the app off my iPhone, not check it before work, and not spend the entire evening watching it along with my television. I love my friends. I love that I can keep up with friends in Russia, Texas, and Orange County at the touch of a button. I love that I can not lose touch with those I spent so much time with in college. My mom even joined Facebook so she can keep up with friends. It's like an eternal yearbook!
I don't, however, want Facebook to replace real life friendships. I don't like what blogs have become (seemingly conversation replacements), but they are, so I deal. I read them. I find the time to multi-task and learn about how much my friend saved on his utility bills in his new house and the emotional toils of adoption. I want to call friends, engage in conversation over a glass of wine, and watch kids play in the park rather than read about it.
Alas, life is limited (heaven won't be, I'm sure!). So, I'll take what I can get. I'm happy to be able to open my Mac and read about the new CD Briana has and that my brother wants to pass out hugs. I'm happy to write this blog that 2 people will read. I don't know why, but it is satisfying in some strange way.
So, Lent had exactly the effect I'd hoped it would.
2 comments:
Glad to hear that you're back! We missed you tons. I wanted to tell you a thousand things while I was logged on, but couldnt get to you because you were away from your FB.
I suppose we'll have to schedule more face time though, because I don't want FB to become our replacement!!
I'm glad youre back! I think it's such a great idea to back off of things for awhile. and I agree 100% with your feelings of wanting more engaging with friends. I hate that computers have replaced gathering together. But like you said, it's still keeping in touch when you physically can't be in the same area.
Post a Comment