Friday, May 30, 2008

When you know God is bigger than you

When I opened my dorm room nearly seven years ago, I never expected that I would be opening my life to a community of believers and friends. I never imagined the connections God was creating for me. I thought I'd made a simple decision to run away from home for a few years -- but HE had such bigger plans for me.

Today I attend a church of over 6,000 people, but oddly enough, of the 70 people on staff, 3 are from my small, mid-west Christian school AND went to the same small church that I attended (well, it used to be small.) I am in a Bible study with one girl I hardly knew at school, but now know well from both church and college, and another girl whose husband was the senior heartthrob during my freshman year. Together these girls set me up with my boyfriend who knows from his college days a guy whose brothers I went to high school with.

Small world. Six degrees. Whatever you want to call it. I call it God. I call it seeing a hand work. I call it a community of believers -- and a God that is big enough to take my little plans and insecurities and weave them together. I can't wait to get to heaven and see how each word I spoke, every hand I shook, every breath I took affected the rest of humanity. Because it does.

Connections with friends, in a community of believers, helps me to recognize my significance in this world. When I'm about out of hope, when I wonder what my Soap Box speeches accomplish at the end of the day, I'll find out that someone WAS listening. That someone DID actually care. And that a connection I make today could not just be a door to a dorm room opening, but a door to a lifetime of friendships and a lifetime of hope.

No comments: