Wednesday, January 29, 2003

I'm still here! And still cold!

Forgive me to being so long in writing. As my mother said, I don’t have a lot to talk about lately! The snow continues to fall, the days are getting a bit longer, and life in Moscow continues. We made it through the coldest experiences of our lives (-25 for about 2 weeks), and 14 no longer seems cold, and 28 feels warm!

So instead of sharing about another adventure, I will share something I have been learning. Spending several days down emotionally and relationally, I began to feel forgotten by God. Oh, how history repeats itself. I finished my journal, so I went back and read through the writings from the beginning of my time here. I am so much like the Israelites, who were fed, clothed, and protected for forty years in the desert by God, and they always could find something to complain about. Here I was, living out a dream of lifetime, surrounded by loving people, fed, clothed, and protected, and I was complaining. Frustrated that I was doing this, I have tried to wake each day and look at it with a new light. My new slogan is that “Opportunity, or adventure, is always appealing from far away; but up close, it is often a painful process!” Looking ahead to this adventure, all I could see was excitement; reading about it from overseas, all you hear is my enthusiasm; and looking back, I am sure I will have fond memories. But minute by minute, this “adventure” sometimes feels more like torture! A visitor from the states reminded me yesterday what an opportunity I have in being here; but I often forget that I am in another country. They day to day routine can get dull anywhere; it’s my attitude and spirit that will make a difference. So I try, and will continue to do so!

Don’t think I hate it here; I don’t. On the contrary, I actually made a pretty big decision in the midst of all this. I am going to remain in Moscow over the summer, mostly to see the changes that take place in another season here! I will probably find some tutoring jobs, and will plan for the next group coming in to teach here. I may get a job at the Embassy or through the church. I can stay in my apartment, and many friends will still be here, so I will have company. In September, after the new group has gotten settled, I will head off to Europe to backpack with Hannah, a friend from college. We will cram in as much as we can in three or four weeks, and I will head home in October. Then what? O, come now; I can only plan my life 8 moths at a time!!

Thank you so much to those of you who have written emails and even real letters. Forgive me for not responding sooner; email has been more difficult to access recently. It is one of the greatest surprises to get a letter when I get home, and to open my email to 20 new messages! New prayer requests? That I can find the spirit to get through the next 3 months (or so) of winter; for this program in general – it looks like there will be some changes for next year which will probably be good; and continued prayer for my health – I am fine, but they say the flu is going to hit hard here next week, and some are already feeling it. I just don’t want to get sick here!

Thank you again – for blessing me with your ears and your heart.

No comments: