I write this with a heavy heart, but a very alive and healthy one. Yes, things here in Moscow have been a little tense the past few days, but I am no where near the danger, and am grateful the ordeal is over.
I did not hear about the hostage situation until Thursday morning, because I don't watch tv here, so one of the teachers told me about it. It was scary, but there wasn't anything we could do. I wondered how long it would go on. We read the papers, but that news was outdated by the time it was printed. On Saturday morning, on of my roommates mom's called to tell us the standoff was over (since it was on the evening news there, and we weren't awake yet.) I was glad it was over, but not ready to hear about its affects.
I was going shopping with Leah and Tanya. Leah was a hour late because she turned on the TV and saw all that was happening. Tanya told us what she knew, that many were killed and many were missing. The three of us headed to the market and while we were there, all the televisions had pictures from the scene. They were gruesome, things you would never see on tv, or even on a bad movie probably, in the states. Leah and I didn't watch much till we got back to her place that afternoon. Then we sat in shock as we could see all of the terrorists, blood, guts, bombs and all, laying on the floor of the theater. Women and men, dressed in camouflage, dead because they wanted to live free from Russia. They DIED because they cared so much...this was an overwhelming emotion for me. I don't think I ever could care so much that I would take other people's lives and line my own with bombs. The images were disturbing, but we watched out of curiosity and disbelief that this was on national television.
As we continued to read and listen to our Russian friends, we were told to keep the doors locked (which we do anyway) because some of the terrorists escaped and were looking for refuge in homes. I haven't heard more on that, but they are on the other side of the city than me, so I am not concerned. Many people are in the hospital, unable to be contacted by their families, simply because that is Russian hospital policy. I hear that more people are dying because of a chemical that the military used when they went in as a distraction. This is huge in Moscow, but not unheard of. One thing that may be different about the news here and there, is that this is not merely a Muslim thing...the war between Russia and Chechnya has been going on for hundreds of years. I say this because we have heard that it is being portrayed as another Muslim terrorist act. The groups very well may be connected, but I can't say I hold this against the Muslim faith.
All this to say that I am fine. Hope you all didn't worry too much, I couldn't get online this weekend. Pray for the people here, as they deal with the loss, and the fear among other Chechnyans who live here. Thanks for your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment